Diabetes Self-Management Program
ECHN offers a highly regarded Diabetes Self-Management Program that can help you manage your diabetes day to day. ECHN’s program has been recognized for excellence by the American Diabetes Association repeatedly since 1996 and has been honored by the American Diabetes Association as one of its “most influential partners” in the fight against diabetes throughout Connecticut.
The diabetes educators in ECHN's Diabetes Self-Management Program are healthcare professionals who will work with you to create a personalized self-management plan that meets your particular needs and fits your lifestyle for long-term control. Their focus is on creating a personalized care plan for you, along with support and education.
Call 860.647.6824, Monday through Thursday, to learn more about the services offered.
- Group classes (recommended for newly diagnosed diabetics)
- Individual (one-on-one) classes
- Individual counseling for gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy)
- Individual basic and advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Individual basic and advanced instruction on using insulin
- Review sessions
- Pre-diabetes class
- Stress management workshop (free)
- Cooking demonstrations ($10 per person)
- Diabetic foot screening
- Sweet Talk (free monthly support group, call Marie at 860.569.6436 for information).
Group classes are offered at Manchester Memorial Hospital
at 9:30 a.m. or 5:00 p.m. Medicare and most commercial insurances cover the cost of the program and a loved one is always welcome to attend at no extra charge.
A physician referral is required to participate in the Diabetes Self-Management Program. We are happy to help with obtaining a written referral from your primary care provider. You can also download and bring this referral form
to your next doctor’s appointment.
Health Risk Assessment Form
If you are attending classes or coming for an education review or insulin instruction, we will ask you to complete a health risk assessment form
, which you may download here
, complete and bring with you to your class or appointment.