Conditions affecting the prostate are among the most common disorders to affect men. Fortunately, care is available close to home. ECHN has leading-edge surgical and radiation treatment options for both prostate cancer and noncancerous prostate conditions.
The prostate is a walnut-shaped gland located in a man's lower body, below the bladder. The prostate makes some of the fluid that nourishes and protects sperm cells. The prostate gland wraps around the urethra, which is the tube that carried urine and semen out of the body.
Common conditions affecting the prostate include enlargement (called benign prostate hyperplasia, or BPH), which can interfere with urination, and prostate cancer.
Leading-edge prostate treatments available through ECHN include:
- Robotic surgery using the daVinci Surgical System.
- "GreenLight" laser treatment, also called Photoselective Vaporization of the Prostate or PVP, to treat prostate enlargement.
- TURP, or transurethral resection of the prostate, to treat prostate enlargement.
- Brachytherapy (radioactive "seed" implants) for prostate cancer.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) for prostate cancer, a highly sophisticated new treatment involving software and medical imaging technology that allows radiation to be more precisely focused on tumors.
The urologists on our medical staff are: